It’s a new take on old cautionary tales. In our Summer 2023 issue, The Deep Dark Burning Woods: Fairytales for the Climate Crisis, we explore the ecology of this ancient storytelling tradition, one rife with lessons, warnings, and hope. Inside:
- Ken Liu constructs a fairytale with the help of an unlikely sidekick: AI
- Anne Frank is a warrior princess in Kate Bernheimer’s close reading of The Diary of a Young Girl
- Carmen Maria Machado and Kelly Link discuss horror, fairytales, and why the terrifying is sublime
- Kate Lebo eats oysters and remembers selkies
- Kapka Kassabova celebrates the impossible survival of a colorful Breznitsan tradition
And much more!
Access the Table of Contents here.