Job Announcement (February 10, 2020)
Orion magazine, a nonprofit quarterly magazine about people and nature, seeks a Database Manager to join its creative and passionate team.
This position lies at the heart of Orion‘s relationships with readers and donors and is deeply important to all organizational activity related to circulation, fundraising, marketing, education, and relationship-building.
Orion’s Database Manager is responsible for Orion’s Salesforce instance and oversees Orion’s subscription fulfillment and renewal programs. They play a crucial role in Orion’s fundraising, subscription outreach, and customer service, working closely with the Strategic Director, Individual Giving Coordinator, Digital Strategist, and Business Manager. The position is occupied by a person who truly enjoys hands-on data management and derives professional satisfaction from maintaining a clean and elegant Salesforce instance. The database manager supervises other staff who perform data entry and performs data entry in their absence. They are alert to trends, relationships, and opportunities that emerge through their close contact with the data, and know when and how to communicate those insights clearly to their colleagues. They are committed to learning the full capacity of Orion’s Salesforce database and to helping steward a workplace environment that is data-driven and reader-centric.
General Statement of Duties
The database manager performs Salesforce administration duties, manages the circulation program, and supervises the Database Assistant. The database manager is the central internal point of contact for all data management and is responsible for the exemplary data quality and reporting upon which much vital organizational activity depends. They oversee all data entry and maintenance pertaining to Orion’s circulation, fundraising, communication, and sales programs on a daily basis. This includes operation of a complex system in which data is managed for independent but widely overlapping functions—development, circulation, sales—and in which precision, timeliness, and good customer service are essential.
Reports to the Strategic Director.
- Administrate Orion’s Salesforce instance.
- Maintain and update custom functions, and user-defined fields, and reports.
- Manage/create systems for recording campaigns, sales, and other promotional activities.
- Lead special projects related to general and specific improvements to Orion’s Salesforce instance.
- Perform a periodic Salesforce audit and set maintenance/development priorities in consultation with the strategic director.
- Create/manage Salesforce integrations with third party apps:
- Click & Pledge
- MailChimp/Constant Contact
- and others as they arise.
- Oversee the work of the database assistant and perform those duties in their absence.
- Enter subscriptions, donations, and merchandise orders received by mail.
- Cross-check subscriptions, donations, and merchandise orders received electronically.
- Respond to constituent inquiries in real time by phone and email.
- Resolve address and name changes and replacement of lost or damaged issues.
- Generate gift subscription notification cards.
- Mail planned giving packets, welcome packets, et cetera per supervisor’s instruction.
- Record all activity in constituent records, including moves management activity.
- Track and maintain soft credits, monthly giving, estate and memorial donations.
- Manage the circulation and fulfillment of Orion
- Produce monthly renewal files and liaise with the mail house per their implementation.
- Following bookread, steer the print and digital fulfillment of each magazine issue by placing print orders, uploading main lists, and coordinating communication between Orion’s production team and the printer and digital publisher.
- Schedule and send mailing lists for three monthly supplemental mailings per issue.
- Ensure digital access for subscribers not included in the digital main list.
- Coordinate NCOA updates following each magazine mailing.
- Liaise with printers, newsstand distributors, and agency subscription services.
- Maintain Orion’s bar codes, bulk mail licenses and indicia.
- Maintain records of ROI and response rates for all campaigns.
- Oversee and make continual improvements to Orion’s fulfillment workflow.
- Publish a monthly circulation report for all staff.
- Run Orion’s renewal program, including:
- the monthly renewal series of seven direct mail efforts for each of Orion’s four annual expire groups
- an annual gift subscription mop-up campaign in the first or second quarter
- a subscription recovery/lapsed rejoin campaign in the third quarter
- the renewal portion of the end of year gift subscription campaign in the fourth quarter
- and the continual oversight, maintenance, and optimization of the renewal program in general.
- Facilitate the use of Salesforce for Orion’s wider engagement purposes.
- Create variable contact lists per request of the strategic director, individual giving coordinator, and digital strategist.
- Create and maintain campaign and campaign member records in Salesforce for all of Orion’s campaigns.
- Be alert to patterns, trends, and relationships that emerge in the database that create new opportunities for Orion.
- Serve as administrator of Orion’s workplace collaboration tools, including Slack, Teamup, GSuite, and Zoom.
- Collaborate with other staff on the maintenance of other collaboration and file storage systems.
- Serve as a resource to staff in troubleshooting technology-related issues and streamlining the use of collaborative digital systems.
This position is based in Orion’s Northampton, Massachusetts office, with travel to Orion’s Great Barrington office up required up to six times a year.
Orion offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and life insurance benefits, 12 paid holidays, and paid time off for vacation, sick, personal, and volunteer time. All full-time positions at Orion are exempt, salaried positions but based on a 36-hour work week; the Orion offices close at 1pm on Friday afternoons.
How to Apply
To apply email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references as a single PDF to mmiller (at) orionmagazine (dot) org with the subject line “Database Manager 2020.” Please title your file “[Last Name]_DM_2020.” No phone calls, please.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. In other words, apply early!
Orion is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity amongst its staff. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The Orion Society, publisher of Orion Magazine, seeks board candidates with non-profit financial management experience to help strengthen the board’s financial oversight capacity. Specifically, Orion seeks board members with some or all of the following experience and qualifications:
- has worked as the CFO or Executive Director of a non-profit with an annual budget between $500k and $2.5mm
- has professional experience in the arts, publishing, and/or environment
- has served on other non-profit board finance committees
- is familiar with a range of non-profit business models and financing mechanisms
- supports Orion’s mission: “Orion magazine invites readers into a community of caring for the planet. Through writing and art that explore the connection between nature and culture, Orion inspires new thinking about how humanity might live on Earth justly, sustainably, and joyously.”
- is committed to supporting Orion philanthropically during one’s board term
- is enthusiastic about non-profit financial management
Orion aims to add two new board members with these qualifications in early 2020 but will interview multiple candidates for each slot. Orion board members serve three-year terms with the possibility of renewal for a second term.
Interested? Email us.