The editorial impulse of Orion lies at the nexus of ecology and the human experience. The magazine distinguishes itself from the din of common culture through its depth of inquiry, commitment to interdisciplinary thought, and an emphasis on insight and imagination alongside a big-picture approach to problem-solving.
Our feature stories typically range from 1,000 to 6,000 words in length, comprising and often combining a variety of genres and formats: essay, memoir, reporting, science writing, criticism, fiction, and comics. More than any particular angle or theme, we value work that expands or challenges our understanding of nature, culture, and place, reflecting thoughtful experience with diverse surroundings.
Lay of the Land and Enumeration
Additionally, writers may submit their work to one of Orion’s two departments. The front-of-book Lay of the Land department features reports and dispatches from a revolving cast of writers that strive to decode the surprising, confusing, and endearing world we live in. Pieces are meant to be very accessible and personable and are no more than 1,000 words. Enumeration, a one-page column that closes each issue, takes the form of a clever, lyrical, humorous, inviting, and meaningful list about our relationship to the natural world, and is generally under 600 words.
Pitches for reviews of recent or forthcoming books that share Orion’s concerns can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Publishers, please send all books for review consideration to: Kerri Arsenault, P.O. Box 96, Roxbury CT 06783
We are not reading poetry submissions at the moment. **Please do not send us poetry.**
Photography and Visual Art
In addition to regularly featuring portfolios and photo essays, Orion accompanies most of its stories with bold and striking imagery. We are always curious to hear from artists whose work shares our concerns with nature, culture, and place. Artists are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with past issues of Orion before approaching us with portfolios. Though our catalog reflects a broad range of visual styles, most of the artwork in Orion maintains intuitive connections to the physical world. Correspondence should ideally link to a web gallery, lightbox, or shared folder. We prefer not to receive media submissions attached directly to emails.
Submissions, pitches, or inquiries can be sent to Sumanth Prabhaker, email@example.com.
The Fine Print
- Writers are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with past issues of Orion before approaching us with manuscripts. Another recommended option is to attend an Orion Environmental Writers’ Workshop.
- Orion is only able to consider manuscripts posted during designated submission windows.
- Writers are limited to one submission per category, per window—additional submissions will not be considered.
- We accept simultaneous submissions.
- Because all submissions are reviewed twice over by a team of editors, it may take us up to six months to respond. In the meantime, we are unlikely to have an answer to inquiries about the status of submissions. We appreciate your patience as we get to know your work!
- Whenever possible, please use our online submission system – it’s free and easy to navigate. The online submission system eases communication between Orion’s offices, allowing your work to be read by as many editors as possible.