If you have investments that you’re thinking about divesting, consider turning one or two into writing and art by donating them to Orion.
Gifts of appreciated stocks, bonds, or other securities can offer financial advantages in the form of a tax deduction and savings on capital gains taxes.
How does it work?
- You transfer securities (stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares) to Orion by having your broker call us at (888) 909-6568 ext. 10 and request the account and routing numbers for Orion’s investment account.
- When the securities are transferred, we sell them within five business days and the proceeds go into the general operating fund for the publication of Orion.
- If you wish, you may designate a specific purpose for the funds, such as compensation for writers and artists, outreach, publication of books, or multimedia. More information about gift designations is available by calling managing director Madeline Miller at (888) 909-6568 ext. 28.
What are the advantages?
- At the end of the year you may claim an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date they were transferred to Orion. (The securities must have been held in your name for one year or longer in order to be fully tax deductible.)
- Regardless of how much you paid for them originally, or how much they have gained in value since then, you will pay no capital gains tax on the donated securities.
- Orion doesn’t play the market. With our policy to sell gifts of securities within five business days, the proceeds of your gift go to work immediately toward the publication of writing and art that explore, enrich, and restore the relationship between people and nature.
- Consult with your financial advisor before making any gifts of securities.
- Let us know ahead of time that your gift is coming.
- If you hold your securities yourself, rather than with a broker, you will need to follow specific mailing instructions, which we can give you when you call.
- Mutual fund transfers must follow the parameters of the fund and can take up to a month; please call us for more information.
For more information, please contact Strategic Director Madeline Miller at (888) 909-6568 x 28 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.